EX Step-by-Step Community Guide
Welcome to the EX Community. Support is a key part of the EX Plan, and you'll find plenty of support in the EX Community to help you quit smoking. As you're getting started, this guide will help you get the most out of the EX Community. If you have any other questions, please contact the EX Administrator.
Hint: All items in red on this website are active links that will redirect you to that particular item.
- What is the EX Community?
- Communicating with Other Members of the EX Community
- How to Set Up Your Profile
- How My Page Works
What is the EX Community?
The EX Community is a place for smokers, ex-smokers, and other supporters to talk about their experience quitting with real people. EX Community provides several tools for you to meet or read about others going through a similar experience with quitting, so that you can ask questions, share, and receive support from other quitters. There are many ways to communicate with other members of the EX Community and this guide provides information on how to navigate around the EX Community.
The EX Community includes profile pages, blogs, and groups. A profile page is where each member can include any public information they want to share with the EX Community about themselves and includes a message board where other members can leave messages. The blog section is a public journal where a member can post any information/posts to be read by the entire community. The group section is a place members can create groups on any range of topics and talk within just the smaller group of people (rather than posting to the entire community as in the blogs).
Communicating with Other Members of the EX Community
There are many ways to get involved with the EX Community, get assistance from other ex-smokers, and offer help to new quitters. The EX Community is an active, vibrant community and we want to be a part of your quit journey!
You can visit any member's page by clicking on their profile picture/avatar. On each member's page, you can learn more about them, leave message on their message board, peruse their blogs, and offer support.
You can blog to share your experience with quitting smoking, comment on others' blog posts, join a group, send private message, and post on message boards.
How to Set Up Your Profile
- Log in at https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/
- Click the My Page tab above the EX Community header
- Underneath your default profile picture, you'll see some links that you can use to set everything up:
- Edit Profile lets you fill out information about yourself. You can include as much or as little as you'd like to make public.
- Edit Profile Icon lets you update your profile picture — pick one of the EX icons or upload your own photo. Your choice.
- Edit Notifications lets you select when and how you'd like to be notified when people comment on your blog or on your page. You can even choose to get notifications when specific friends create new content.
- Edit Group Notifications lets you set up a notification when your Groups add new content.
- Blog takes you to your blog homepage with all your public blog posts.
- Message Board is where people who visit your page can leave messages for you. All messages posted here will only be seen by those who visit your page directly.
- Friends lets you see all your friends and organize them into categories (just click the New Friends Collection link on your Friends page).
- Any time you make a change, make sure to click save at the bottom of the page to save your changes.
How My Page Works
This is where users can find out about you, read your blog posts and message you during your quit journey.
- Below your profile information, you'll see a few boxes: Message Board, Friends, Friend Activity and Group Membership. Click the Edit page link at the top right of your page to customize what you show in these boxes and who can see them.
- To the right of your profile information, you'll find a preview of your recent blog posts.
- Within the My Page tab, you will see sub-tabs titled Inbox, Message Board, My Friends and My Badges.
- Inbox lets you write and check private messages between you and other members of the EX Community. To write a message, click the Compose a message link in the left column. Select the person you want to send the private message to. Give the message a title, type the message in the box then click on send.
- Message Board is where people who visit your page can leave messages for you. All messages posted here will only be seen by those who visit your page directly. To respond to a message left for you on the message board, click the Reply on… link under their message. When the message box appears, type your note then click on post to share a message directly on the other user’s message board.
- My Friends lets you see all your friends and organize them into categories (just click the New Friends Collection link on your Friends page).
- My Badges provides a summary of all the badges you have earned by using the tools available on BecomeAnEX. All the badges you have already earned will be in color. Click on the red link within any grayed out badge to complete the exercise and earn the badge!
When you log in to your BecomeAnEX.org account and click the Community link at the top of the site, you'll be on the EX Community homepage. Scroll down to view featured blog posts and groups. On the left side of the page, you can access your profile information, invite friends to Community, see your friends' activity and check the New Member Spotlight.
Click the Blogs tab above the EX Community header to read and write blog posts. This is one of the most popular areas of the BecomeAnEX site where thousands of active users share their quitting experience. You can use the tabs in the center of the page to sort through the new, popular, and featured posts. You can also click the My Friends' Blog Posts tab to see posts from your friends.
If you really like reading a certain user's posts, you can subscribe to them. Just look in the left column under Page Actions and click the Subscribe to blog posts link.
Writing a blog post
- Click the Blogs tab above the EX Community header.
- Click the Write a Blog Post link on the left side of the screen.
- Give it a title.
- Write your Pulitzer Prize-winning blog post. Remember that you can add images and even allow or disallow people to comment on your post.
- Please note that there is a time-out limit on your blog page so if you plan on writing a particularly long entry, it may be helpful to compose the text in a word processing program first and then paste it into the window to help ensure that your writing is not lost.
- Tag your post with appropriate keywords so people can find it more easily.
- Click the Publish link to post your blog. Congrats, you are now a published author.
Click the Groups tab to check out all the groups within the EX Community, create new groups, see groups to which you and your friends belong, start and view group discussions and subscribe to groups you dig.
Creating a New Group
- Under the Groups tab, click Create a New Group in the left column and fill out the form that appears.
- The brief description will be seen in the list of groups. The regular description will appear on the group's main page.
- Tags are keywords that help people find your group.
- Open groups let anyone join. Closed means that members must be invited/approved.
- Click save and you're done!
Joining a group
- Under the Groups tab, you can view all groups; sort them by newest, featured or most popular; and view groups that your friends have joined.
- Click on a group that interests you.
- If the group is open, click the Join Group link on the left side of the page.
- If the group is closed, click the Request Membership link on the left side of the page. The group owner will need to approve your request.