Advice & Support
Get Support from the Community
No one knows what quitting is like more than others who have done it themselves. Here are some of the conversations going on right now.
Beat the Urge to Use Tobacco
There are lots of things that can make you want to turn to tobacco – like being stressed out, drinking alcohol, having coffee or being offered a cigarette from a friend. You'll know you're in a slippery situation if you start making the "I'll just have one" excuse.
Here's what you can do to beat the urge to use tobacco:
- Call a friend.
- Think back to your separation exercises. Remember how you broke the glue between your tobacco and their triggers? Commit to waiting 10 minutes before you let yourself use tobacco. If you can delay using tobacco, the urge will pass. Next time, aim for 11 minutes.
- Get busy. Those 10 minutes will pass much more quickly if you get up, get moving, and get your attention off tobacco.
- Go back and look at your reasons for quitting.
- Don't bum a cigarette. If you are going to smoke, make yourself go buy your own pack. No one else should feel responsible for your slip up.
- Don't buy tobacco in the same place where you're having the craving. Walking from one spot to another may give you a few minutes to think about what you're going to do and change your mind.
Get Your Quit Back on Track
If you use tobacco, don't use it as an excuse to give up completely. You've already made huge progress. This is just a setback. You can get past this.
Think about what went wrong and make a plan to fight your next craving. Whether it's one cigarette or a few, these kind of slip-ups are normal. Get back to tracking your tobacco and working on beating your tobacco triggers. You also might need to try a different quitting medication or even try a couple of them together. If you've chosen not to rely on medication, maybe now's the time to make it part of your plan. Go back and review the different types to find the one that's right for you. Don't forget – the right medication can double your chances of success. You can do this. We know you can.
Next, check out these quitting tips and techniques.