COVID-19 / Coronavirus and Smoking or Vaping
The science around tobacco use and COVID-19 is changing day by day. Based on the latest evidence as of 11/3/2021, here’s what you need to know:
- Smoking increases your risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19. If you smoke, you should absolutely quit.
- The data about vaping and COVID-19 are less clear. Here’s what is known:
- Vaping harms lung and heart health
- Vaping weakens the immune system.
- The vapor from e-cigarettes decreases the ability of the lungs to respond to infection.
- If you’ve used e-cigarettes to quit smoking, you should not go back to smoking.
The bottom line: COVID-19 is an infectious disease that primarily attacks the lungs. Not inhaling chemicals of any kind is the best way to protect lung health. There are resources here on EX that can help you quit. Register today!
Get Free Support to Quit Tobacco Today
Here are some specific tips to quit and stay quit in today’s stressful and uncertain times.
Our EX Community can help if you’re feeling lonely and isolated because of social distancing. There’s a group just for talking about COVID-19. We have tagged content to help you access the information you’re looking for quickly. Support is always important for quitting, but perhaps more so now than ever before. Check out the EX Community for free, 24/7 support proven to help our members quit and stay quit.
General Info About COVID-19
Click here to learn more about the other medical conditions that are risk factors for COVID-19. This page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is routinely updated based on new evidence.
Are you experiencing symptoms and feeling unsure what to do next?