COVID-19 / Coronavirus and Smoking or Vaping
What Smokers and Vapers Need to Know about COVID-19
The science around tobacco use and COVID-19 is rapidly evolving. Based on the latest available evidence, here’s what you need to know:
- Smoking increases your risk of severe illness and death from COVID-19. If you smoke, you should absolutely quit.
- The data about vaping and COVID-19 are less clear. Here’s what is known:
- Vaping negatively impacts lung and heart health.
- Vaping weakens the immune system.
- E-cigarette aerosol harms lung cells, causes inflammation, and decreases the ability of the lungs to respond to infection.
- If you’ve used e-cigarettes to quit smoking, you should not go back to smoking.
The bottom line: COVID-19 is an infectious disease that primarily attacks the lungs. Not inhaling chemicals of any kind is the best way to protect lung health. There are resources here on BecomeAnEX that can help you quit. Register today!
Get Free Support to Quit Tobacco Today
Here are some specific tips to quit and stay quit in today’s stressful and uncertain times.
Our EX Community is here to help you feel more connected in these times of social distancing. We’ve got a group specifically dedicated to discussing COVID-19. We have tagged content to help you access the information you’re looking for quickly. Support is always important for quitting, but perhaps more so now than ever before. Check out the EX Community for free, 24/7 support proven to help our members quit and stay quit.
General Info About COVID-19
Click here to learn more about the other medical conditions that are risk factors for COVID-19. This page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is routinely updated based on new evidence.