Tips to Quit Smoking or Vaping During COVID-19
Get support! Encouragement and support are important for everyone as they are quitting. But with all the changes that have come with COVID-19, it can be tough to get the support you need. The EX Community can help! It is an online support group of people going through their own quitting journeys. Click here to read posts from our members about how they are coping with COVID-19.
Find healthy ways to manage stress. Here are a few ways to cope with stress without smoking or vaping:
- Do a quick breathing exercise. Inhale through your nose while you count to 5, hold your breath for 5, and exhale through your mouth for 5. Try it any time you feel stress or anxiety building up.
- Find positive distraction. Watch an inspiring video online. Maybe it’s outer space exploration, natural wonders, or even national parks. “Cute animal friendships” are some of our favorites!
- Take a quick walk outside. Even just stepping outside your front door and doing a big stretch can help relieve stress.
- Add some movement into your day. Maybe it’s 10 minutes of gentle stretching in the morning, push-ups before lunch, or Tai Chi in the evening.
Stay active. Exercise is a great way to manage stress and avoid weight gain that sometimes comes with quitting. There are lots of options for free fitness classes you can do at home. Many fitness professionals are now offering free or pay-what-you-can virtual classes/sessions. Search online for what’s available from local studios, or browse YouTube for nationally-available sessions.
Manage money worries. If finances are a concern, focus on a few small steps:
- Take the money you normally would spend on non-essential items and move it to a savings account.
- Contact your bank for advice on free financial guidance.
- Seek out what financial services or unemployment benefits may be available in your state.
- Explore loan forgiveness, deferral or repayment options with any lenders that may ease financial pressures during this time.
- Post about what’s worrying you in the EX Community. You’ll find ideas to help you get through this and people to lean on during a difficult time.
Stay connected. Video chats can be a great way to stay in touch with family, friends and co-workers. Make it memorable by adding a theme!
- Throw a virtual party for someone who is celebrating a birthday. Sing and enjoy a slice of cake or other treat together.
- Pick a simple recipe to make together and have a virtual dinner party.
- Enjoy a Trivia Night. Take turns asking the questions.
- Visit the EX Community. Our members talk about lots of things besides quitting, and are always up for a joke, a laugh, a virtual game, or a discussion.
- Explore other online communities related to your interests. Whether it’s fishing, crafting, cooking, reading, hiking, pickling, you name it… there’s probably an online community for it!
If you want to read about what we know about COVID-19 / Coronavirus and smoking or vaping, click here.
Remember, we’re in this together and we’re here anytime you need support!